So you’re moving in together? Maybe you’re getting married. Or not. Regardless, moving from one place to another is stressful enough, but moving from two places into one… well that’s another story. Here are some tips for making life easier on both of you as you make the transition.
- Make a list of your belongings and prioritize by what you can’t live without, what you love and want to keep, what you just need for necessity’s sake and what you can live without.
- Make a thorough checklist of storage (spaces and furniture) in your new home.
- Swap lists and write down the pros and cons by each of the items on your partner’s list.
- Review the lists together and agree on where you can make compromises based on the space you will have in your new home.
- Decide on what items neither of you already has that you will need, and make sure there is adequate space for those items as well.
- Arrange for the donation or sale of those items not going into your new home.
- Purchase the items you don’t already have.
- Move in, unpack and organize everything.
- Hire a professional organizer if you feel overwhelmed or just need help maximizing the use of the space in your home.
- Make a plan to maintain your organized, beautiful new home.
Still feel like you need help? We love helping couples create an organized, beautiful living and home office work space. Call Rosemary Lacovara at Organize to Beautify today at 732-378-9304 or email me at Rosemary@OrganizeToBeautify.com.